How Do I Get Lost Wages in Florida Workers Compensation Accidents

There are generally four types of money benefits paid in Florida workers compensation cases.

Temporary Total Disability (TTD) benefits are paid when the injured worker has been told by the workers compensation doctor that the injured worker should not perform any work while he or she  is recovering.  Each time you see the doctor you should have them provide you with a disability slip.  It’s usually called a DWC 25 form.  You should provide this immediately to the workers compensation adjuster so you can have your payments started.

Temporary Partial Disability (TPD) benefits are paid when the injured worker is allowed to return to some work activity but with certain physical or mental restrictions while he or she is recovering.  Examples are no lifting over 20 pounds or avoid dealing with the public.

The employer should be advised of the restrictions to see if they have work available within the restrictions.  If so, the injured worker should perform the light duty job.

If the employee is earning less than 80% of their pre-injury wage, the employee is entitled to lost wages .  The employee usually needs to turn in completed Employee Earnings Reports to the insurance company to prove their lost wages.

Impairment benefits (IB’s) are payable based on the impairment rating assigned when the employee reaches maximum medical improvement (MMI) and do not rely on any physical or mental restrictions.  For a detailed explanation of impairment benefits click here.

Permanent Total Disability (PTD) are payable to the severely disabled individual.  They are usually payable after the employee has reached maximum medical improvement and stop at age 75.  For a detailed explanation of proving entitlement to permanent total disability benefits click here

If you believe that you are entitled to lost wages contact us for a free consultation. Compensation you deserve….it’s what we work for.